Sellers have the legal right to hold their homes “open to the public” while listed in the NWMLS. Open Houses generally are on Sunday from 1:00-4:00 pm. Saturdays are fair game for an Open House too. Per NWMLS rule we cannot advertize your Open House on the MLS but there are many others ways to get the word out about your Open.
Ways to Advertize your Open House:
1. Walk and talk to neighbors.
2. Place flyers at your grocery store or mall.
3. Advertize on Craigslist.
4. Mail invitations to your friends and aquaintences.
5. Create an “Open House on Sunday” rider for your “For Sale” sign.
6. Advertize with the Seattle Times paper & online ad services.
7. SMH will publish an “Open House” schedule on their website.
Be as creative as you like when thinking of ways to attract Buyers to your property.
Here is a checklist of things to remember for creating a successful and stress free Open House:
1. Clean, Clean, Clean, a clean and un-cluttered home will show well.
2. Sweep front walks and make sure the yard and shrubbery are maintained
3. Turn on all the lighting to help demonstrate the interior spaces
4. Put all jewelry, medicines, purses, wallets, etc away in a safe place
5. Bake some cookies to create a warm inviting space.
6. Have water or soda and cookies or something to nibble on which will slow people down and help create conversation about the Buyer and your home.
7. “Don’t crowd the Buyer” Let them explore the wonders of your home.
8. Have plenty of fliers and pen / paper for notes and Buyer comments.
9. Smile, you are working!!!! A relaxed Buyer will give a treasure trove of ideas and comments.
10. Place your “Open” A –Boards at visible intersections to attract people just driving by.
These are just a few ideas for creating a successful Open House. Please feel free to contact your SMH representative. They will be happy to answer your questions and possibly offer a few more Open House ‘Nuggets of Wisdom”. Above all, have fun!